Natural Killer Cells
NK cells are a little-known Spec Ops division of the human Immune System. They’re a white blood cell that specialize in tracking and killing mutated cells like Viruses and cancer. According to Dr Jonathan Clinthorne, here’s how to train these supersoldiers:
- Leptin – healthy fats are fuel critical for NK cells to live. Avoid low fat diets.
- Caloric restriction, specifically intermittent fasting, helps preserve mature NK cells.
- Shitake mushroom extract help provide something called Alpha Glucans to keep those NK cells happy.
- Resveratrol (the healthy stuff in red wine).
- Curcumen (notoriously hard to make bio-available, so here’s a more bio-available curcumen brand recommended by Dr Rhonda Patrick).
- BCAA’s post workout.
- Avoid cheap Folic Acid (the Vitamin B in cheap multivitamins. And probably avoid most multivitamins). Unmetabolized Folic Acid in the blood stream seems to suppress NK cell growth.
Listen to Ben Greenfield interview Dr Jonathan Clinthorne for more.
Hard choices, easy life. Easy choices, hard life
To my left is an escalator going up, to my right is a staircase. My hands are full with groceries, and my instinct drives me to the escalator. Then an older man’s voice with a Polish accent comes into my head, almost nagging me, “easy choices, hard life. Hard choices, easy life.” I sigh and reluctantly take the stairs. Simple but profoundly insightful thinking from Champion Olympic Weightlifter Jerzy Gregorek. It’s drilled into my brain, Polish accent and all.
I hear his voice whenever I want to snooze instead of working out. I hear it when I want ice cream for breakfast. Whenever I don’t want to do something that I know, deep down, is good for me.
You can hear his voice in this podcast: Tim Ferriss interviews Jerzy Gregorek.