After sleeping terribly, I woke up on Sunday morning with a nasty sore throat, sneezing, runny nose. My girlfriend felt sick yesterday, I knew it was my turn to face the Rhinovirus (cold). With all the bio hacking that I’ve been reading about, it was time to put it to the test. Here’s what I did:
- Vitamin C mega dose. I was popping 500 mg pills like candy throughout the day. I took around 7 grams of vitamin C. The thinking is that it boosts immune support, and your body needs it in vastly higher quantities when it’s fighting illness. Dave Asprey on Vitamin C.
- Vitamin D in the morning. I’m likely deficient from the cloudy winter, and took a 50 mg dose first thing in the morning. It’s also supposed to help with immune support. Vitamin D3 source.
- Zinc, 50 mg. While I’m slightly skeptical, it’s known colloquially in the bodybuilding world to help fight off the cold and flu. There is research showing that it can help limit the spread of Rhinovirus, but the data is for Zinc lozenges, not oral supplements. Still worth a shot.
- I made a tea out of Chaga mushrooms and added a tablespoon of honey. Chaga is believed to support immune function and honey/tea to soothe the throat.
- Sleep. I never nap, but I forced myself to take an hour nap.
- I usually work out on Sundays, but I rested to help my body focus on fighting the illness. I learned this lesson from the Germans: you don’t want to fight a war on two fronts.
- Homemade chicken soup. It was delicious, it was an easy lunch, and I sipped the warm broth throughout the day. Study correlating chicken soup to Cold recovery.
Come nightfall, I felt completely fine. Was at 100% the next day. Bonus: still had delicious Chaga and Chicken soup leftover.
Note – I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice. I’m just sharing my experience.